gangway: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.gang'wā"interj.gang'wā'), [key]
- a passageway, esp. a narrow walkway.
- an opening in the railing or bulwark of a ship, as that into which a gangplank fits.
- an area of the weather deck of a ship, between the side and a deckhouse.
- Seeaccommodation ladder.
- the space between the cab of a steam locomotive and its tender.
- the side entrance of a diesel or electric locomotive.
- an aisle in a theater, restaurant, etc.
- an aisle in the House of Commons separating the more influential members of the political parties from the younger, less influential members.
- a runway in a theater.
- a temporary path of planks, as at a building site.
- a main passage or level.
- the ramp up which logs are moved into a sawmill.
- clear the way! out of the way!
- gangway (Thesaurus)