Meaning of grammar
Pronunciation: (gram'ur), [key]
- the study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and syntax.
- these features or constructions themselves: English grammar.
- an account of these features; a set of rules accounting for these constructions: a grammar of English.
- a device, as a body of rules, whose output is all of the sentences that are permissible in a given language, while excluding all those that are not permissible.
- knowledge or usage of the preferred or prescribed forms in speaking or writing: She said his grammar was terrible.
- the elements of any science, art, or subject.
- a book treating such elements.
- grammar (Thesaurus)