Meaning of Guinea
Pronunciation: (gin'ē), [key]
- a coastal region in W Africa, extending from the Gambia River to the Gabon estuary.
- Formerly,an independent republic in W Africa, on the Atlantic coast. 4,800,000; ab. 96,900 sq. mi. (251,000 sq. km). Cap.: Conakry.
- a part of the Atlantic Ocean that projects into the W coast of Africa and extends from the Ivory Coast to Gabon.
- (l.c.) a former money of account of the United Kingdom, equal to 21 shillings: still often used in quoting fees or prices.
- (l.c.) a gold coin of Great Britain issued from 1663 to 1813, with a nominal value of 20 shillings.
- . a person of Italian birth or descent.
- (l.c.)a person who does miscellaneous work in or around a horse stable.
- Guinea (Thesaurus)