Meaning of hemp
Pronunciation: (hemp), [key]
- Also calleda tall, coarse plant, Cannabis sativa, that is native to Asia but naturalized or cultivated in many parts of the world and is the source of a valuable fiber as well as drugs such as marijuana and hashish. Cf. cannabis.
- the tough fiber of this plant, used for making rope, coarse fabric, etc.
- any of various plants resembling hemp.
- any of various fibers similar to hemp.
- a narcotic drug, as marijuana or hashish, prepared from the hemp plant.
- hemp (Thesaurus)