Meaning of herringbone
Pronunciation: (her'ing-bōn"), [key]
- a pattern consisting of adjoining vertical rows of slanting lines, any two contiguous lines forming either aor an invertedused in masonry, textiles, embroidery, etc.
- Also calledchevron,chevron weave,her&prim;ringbone weave&sec;.a type of twill weave having this pattern.
- a fabric constructed with this weave.
- a garment made from such a fabric, esp. a suit.
- a method of going up a slope in which a skier sets the skis in a form resembling aand, placing weight on the inside edges, advances the skis by turns using the poles from behind for push and support.
- having or resembling herringbone: herringbone tweed.
- herringbone (Thesaurus)