Meaning of hiccup
Pronunciation: (hik'up, -up), [key]
— n., v., -cuped -cupped, -cup•ing -cup•ping.
- a quick, involuntary inhalation that follows a spasm of the diaphragm and is suddenly checked by closure of the glottis, producing a short, relatively sharp sound.
- Usually,the condition of having such spasms: She got the hiccups just as she began to speak.
- a minor difficulty, interruption, setback, etc.: a hiccup in the stock market.
- to make the sound of a hiccup: The motor hiccuped as it started.
- to have the hiccups.
- to experience a temporary decline, setback, interruption, etc.: There was general alarm when the economy hiccuped.
- hiccup (Thesaurus)