horror: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hôr'ur, hor'-), [key]
- an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear: to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror.
- anything that causes such a feeling: killing, looting, and other horrors of war.
- such a feeling as a quality or condition: to have known the horror of slow starvation.
- a strong aversion; abhorrence: to have a horror of emotional outbursts.
- something considered bad or tasteless: That wallpaper is a horror. The party was a horror.
- Seedelirium tremens.
- extreme depression.
- inspiring or creating horror, loathing, aversion, etc.: The hostages told horror stories of their year in captivity.
- centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events: a horror movie.
- (used as a mild expression of dismay, surprise, disappointment, etc.)
- horror (Thesaurus)