Meaning of idealism
Pronunciation: (ī-dē'u-liz"um), [key]
- the cherishing or pursuit of high or noble principles, purposes, goals, etc.
- the practice of idealizing.
- something idealized; an ideal representation.
- treatment of subject matter in a work of art in which a mental conception of beauty or form is stressed, characterized usually by the selection of particular features of various models and their combination into a whole according to a standard of perfection. Cf. naturalism (def. 2),(def. 3a).
- any system or theory that maintains that the real is of the nature of thought or that the object of external perception consists of ideas.
- the tendency to represent things in an ideal form, or as they might or should be rather than as they are, with emphasis on values.
- idealism (Thesaurus)