idol: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (īd'l), [key]
- an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
- an image of a deity other than God.
- the deity itself.
- any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion: Madame Curie had been her childhood idol.
- a mere image or semblance of something, visible but without substance, as a phantom.
- a figment of the mind; fantasy.
- a false conception or notion; fallacy.
- idol (Thesaurus)