intelligence: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-tel'i-juns), [key]
- capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
- manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
- the faculty of understanding.
- knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
- the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.
- military intelligence; naval intelligence.
- information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
- the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
- an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information:military intelligence; naval intelligence.
- interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
- a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
- (often cap.) an intelligent being or spirit, esp. an incorporeal one, as an angel.
- intelligence (Thesaurus)