Meaning of inverse
Pronunciation: (adj., n.in-vûrs', in'vûrsv.in-vûrs'), [key]
— adj., n., v., -versed, -vers•ing.
- reversed in position, order, direction, or tendency.
- (of a proportion) containing terms of which an increase in one results in a decrease in another. A term is said to be in inverse proportion to another term if it increases (or decreases) as the other decreases (or increases).
- of or pertaining to an inverse function. Cf. direct (def. 16).
- inverted; turned upside down.
- an inverted state or condition.
- something that is inverse; the direct opposite.
- an element of an algebraic system, as a group, corresponding to a given element such that its product or sum with the given element is the identity element.
- Seeinverse function.
- a point related to a given point so that it is situated on the same radius, extended if necessary, of a given circle or sphere and so that the product of the distances of the two points from the center equals the square of the radius of the circle or sphere.
- the set of such inverses of the points of a given set, as the points on a curve.
- to invert.
- inverse (Thesaurus)