Meaning of jib
— n. Naut.
- any of various triangular sails set forward of a forestaysail or fore-topmast staysail. Cf. flying jib, inner jib. See diag. under
- the inner one of two such sails, set inward from a flying jib.
- one's general appearance, mien, or manner: I could tell by the cut of his jib that he wasn't the kind of person I'd want to deal with.
- of or pertaining to a jib: jib clew.
— n. jibbed, jib•bing,
— v., n. jibbed, jib•bing,
- to move restively sidewise or backward instead of forward, as an animal in harness; balk.
- to balk at doing something; defer action; procrastinate.
- a horse or other animal that jibs.
- the projecting arm of a crane.
- the boom of a derrick.
- jib (Thesaurus)