knuckle: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (nuk'ul), [key]
— n., v., -led, -ling.
- a joint of a finger, esp. one of the articulations of a metacarpal with a phalanx.
- the rounded prominence of such a joint when the finger is bent.
- a joint of meat, consisting of the parts about the carpal or tarsal joint of a quadruped.
- an angle or protrusion at the intersection of two members or surfaces, as in the timbers of a ship or in a roof.
- a cylindrical projecting part on a hinge, through which an axis or pin passes; the joint of a hinge.
- (in a wire mesh) a bend in a wire crossing another wire.
- (on a chair arm) one of the ridges left at the front end by longitudinal flutes carved to accommodate the fingers.
- a pronounced edge formed by a change in the form of the shell of a hull.
- to rub or press with the knuckles.
- to shoot (a marble) from the thumb and forefinger.
- Just knuckle down for an hour or so and finish the work.
- to apply oneself vigorously and earnestly; become serious:Just knuckle down for an hour or so and finish the work.
- Also,knuckle under.to submit; yield.
- knuckle (Thesaurus)