lamella: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lu-mel'u), [key]
— pl. -mel•lae -mel•las.
- a thin plate, scale, membrane, or layer, as of bone, tissue, or cell walls.
- an erect scale or blade inserted at the junction of the claw and limb in some corollas and forming a part of their corona or crown.
- (in mosses) a thin sheet of cells standing up along the midrib of a leaf.
- gill (def. 2).
- a member of wood, metal, or reinforced concrete, joined in a crisscross pattern with other lamellae to form a vault.
- a small disk of gelatin and glycerin mixed with a medicinal substance, used as a medicament for the eyes.
- lamella (Thesaurus)