lamp: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lamp), [key]
- any of various devices furnishing artificial light, as by electricity or gas. Cf. fluorescent lamp, incandescent lamp.
- a container for an inflammable liquid, as oil, which is burned at a wick as a means of illumination.
- a source of intellectual or spiritual light: the lamp of learning.
- any of various devices furnishing heat, ultraviolet, or other radiation: an infrared lamp.
- a celestial body that gives off light, as the moon or a star.
- a torch.
- the eyes.
- to give evidence of laborious study or effort: His dissertation smells of the lamp.
- to look at; eye.
- lamp (Thesaurus)