Meaning of laureate
Pronunciation: (lôr'ē-it, lor'-), [key]
- a person who has been honored for achieving distinction in a particular field or with a particular award: a Nobel laureate.
- deserving or having special recognition for achievement, as for poetry (often used immediately after the noun that is modified): poet laureate; conjurer laureate.
- having special distinction or recognition in a field: the laureate men of science.
- crowned or decked with laurel as a mark of honor.
- consisting of or resembling laurel, as a wreath or crown.
- laureate (Thesaurus)