layer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lā'ur), [key]
- a thickness of some material laid on or spread over a surface: a layer of soot on the window sill; two layers of paint.
- bed; stratum: alternating layers of basalt and sandstone.
- a person or thing that lays: a carpet layer.
- a hen kept for egg production.
- one of several items of clothing worn one on top of the other.
- a shoot or twig that is induced to root while still attached to the living stock, as by bending and covering with soil.
- a plant so propagated.
- a machine for laying rope or cable.
- to make a layer of.
- to form or arrange in layers.
- to arrange or wear (clothing) in layers: You can layer this vest over a blouse or sweater.
- to propagate by layering.
- to separate into or form layers.
- (of a garment) to permit of wearing in layers; be used in layering: Frilly blouses don't layer well.
- layer (Thesaurus)