Meaning of Madeira
Pronunciation: (mu-dēr'u, -dâr'u for 1, 2, 5 also Port. mä-de'ru), [key]
- a group of eight islands off the NW coast of Africa, part of Portugal. 270,000; 308 sq. mi. (798 sq. km). Cap.: Funchal.
- the chief island of this group. 286 sq. mi. (741 sq. km).
- (often l.c.) a rich, strong white or amber wine, resembling sherry, made there.
- (often l.c.) a similar wine made elsewhere.
- a river in W Brazil flowing NE to the Amazon: chief tributary of the Amazon. 2100 mi. (3380 km) long.
- madeira (Thesaurus)