man: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (man), [key]
— n., pl. v., interj. men, manned, man•ning,
- an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.
- a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
- the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
- a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
- a husband.
- a male lover or sweetheart.
- a male follower or subordinate: the king's men. He's the boss's number one man.
- a male employee or representative, esp. of a company or agency: a Secret Service man; a man from the phone company.
- a male having qualities considered typical of men or appropriately masculine: Be a man. The army will make a man of you.
- a male servant.
- a valet.
- an enthusiast or devotee: I like jazz, but I'm essentially a classics man.
- male friend; ally: You're my main man.
- a term of familiar address to a man; fellow: Now, now, my good man, please calm down.
- a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Hey, man, take it easy.
- one of the pieces used in playing certain games, as chess or checkers.
- a liegeman; vassal.
- manly character or courage.
- in complete agreement or accord; unanimously: They arose as one man to protest the verdict.
- Now that he has a business he is his own man.
- to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent:Now that he has a business he is his own man.
- to be in complete command of one's faculties:After a refreshing nap he was again his own man.
- ever since childhood: He's been working that farm, man and boy, for more than 50 years.
- a person or group asserting authority or power over another, esp. in a manner experienced as being oppressive, demeaning, or threatening, as an employer, the police, or a dominating racial group.
- a person or group upon whom one is dependent, as the drug supplier for an addict. Also,the Man.
- with no exception; everyone; all: To a man, the members of the team did their best.
- to furnish with men, as for service or defense.
- to take one's place for service, as at a gun or post: to man the ramparts.
- to strengthen, fortify, or brace; steel: to man oneself for the dangers ahead.
- to accustom (a hawk) to the presence of men.
- an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Man, what a ball game!
Pronunciation: (män, man unstressed m&schwan), [key]
— auxiliary v. Scot.
Pronunciation: (man), [key]
- an island of the British Isles, in the Irish Sea. 58,773; 227 sq. mi. (588 sq. km). Cap.: Douglas.
- a combining form oflayman; postman.
- man (Thesaurus)