Meaning of marathon
Pronunciation: (mar'u-thon", -thun), [key]
- a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km 195 m).
- any long-distance race.
- any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon.
Pronunciation: (mar'u-thon"), [key]
- a plain in SE Greece, in Attica: the Athenians defeated the Persians here 490b.c.
- an ancient village that is near this plain.
- a son of Epopeus and the father of Corinthus.
- marathon (Thesaurus)