massacre: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mas'u-kur), [key]
— n., v., -cred, -cring.
- the unnecessary, indiscriminate killing of a large number of human beings or animals, as in barbarous warfare or persecution or for revenge or plunder.
- a general slaughter, as of persons or animals: the massacre of millions during the war.
- a crushing defeat, esp. in sports.
- to kill unnecessarily and indiscriminately, esp. a large number of persons.
- to defeat decisively, esp. in sports.
- massacre (Thesaurus)