Meaning of merit
Pronunciation: (mer'it), [key]
- claim to respect and praise; excellence; worth.
- something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation; a commendable quality, act, etc.: The book's only merit is its sincerity.
- the inherent rights and wrongs of a matter, as a lawsuit, unobscured by procedural details, technicalities, personal feelings, etc.: The case will be decided on its merits alone.
- Often,the state or fact of deserving; desert: to treat people according to their merits.
- worthiness of spiritual reward, acquired by righteous acts made under the influence of grace.
- something that is deserved, whether good or bad.
- to be worthy of; deserve.
- to acquire merit.
- based on merit: a merit raise of $25 a week.
- merit (Thesaurus)