metropolitan: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (me"tru-pol'i-tn), [key]
- of, noting, or characteristic of a metropolis or its inhabitants, esp. in culture, sophistication, or in accepting and combining a wide variety of people, ideas, etc.
- of or pertaining to a large city, its surrounding suburbs, and other neighboring communities: the New York metropolitan area.
- pertaining to or constituting a mother country.
- pertaining to an ecclesiastical metropolis.
- an inhabitant of a metropolis.
- a person who has the sophistication, fashionable taste, or other habits and manners associated with those who live in a metropolis.
- the head of an ecclesiastical province.
- an archbishop in the Church of England.
- an archbishop who has authority over one or more suffragan sees.
- (in ancient Greece) a citizen of the mother city or parent state of a colony.
- metropolitan (Thesaurus)