Meaning of notch
Pronunciation: (noch), [key]
- an angular or-shaped cut, indentation, or slit in an object, surface, or edge.
- a cut or nick made in a stick or other object for record, as in keeping a tally.
- a deep, narrow opening or pass between mountains; gap; defile.
- a step, degree, or grade: This camera is a notch better than the other.
- a taphole in a blast furnace: iron notch; cinder notch.
- to cut or make a notch in.
- to record by notches: He notched each kill on the stick.
- to score, as in a game: He notched another win.
- to move up or down or increase or decrease by notches or degrees: The temperature has notched up another degree.
- notch (Thesaurus)