occasion: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-kā'zhun), [key]
- a particular time, esp. as marked by certain circumstances or occurrences: They met on three occasions.
- a special or important time, event, ceremony, celebration, etc.: His birthday will be quite an occasion.
- a convenient or favorable time, opportunity, or juncture: This slack period would be a good occasion to take inventory.
- the immediate or incidental cause or reason for some action or result: What is the occasion for this uproar?
- (in the philosophy of Alfred North Whitehead) the coincidence of the eternal objects forming a specific point-event.
- to go about one's lawful occasions.
- needs or necessities.
- necessary business matters:to go about one's lawful occasions.
- now and then; from time to time; occasionally: She visits New York on occasion.
- to give occasion or cause for; bring about.
- occasion (Thesaurus)