official: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-fish'ul), [key]
- a person appointed or elected to an office or charged with certain duties.
- of or pertaining to an office or position of duty, trust, or authority: official powers.
- authorized or issued authoritatively: an official report.
- holding office.
- appointed or authorized to act in a designated capacity: an official representative.
- (of an activity or event) intended for the notice of the public and performed or held on behalf of officials or of an organization; formal: the official opening of a store.
- noting drugs or drug preparations that are recognized by and that conform to the standards of the United States Pharmacopeia or the National Formulary.
- official (Thesaurus)