Meaning of ornament
Pronunciation: (n.ôr'nu-muntv.ôr'nu-ment&sec, -munt), [key]
- an accessory, article, or detail used to beautify the appearance of something to which it is added or of which it is a part: architectural ornaments.
- a system, category, or style of such objects or features; ornamentation: a book on Gothic ornament.
- any adornment or means of adornment.
- a person or thing that adds to the credit or glory of a society, era, etc.
- the act of adorning.
- the state of being adorned.
- mere outward display: a speech more of ornament than of ideas.
- any accessory, adjunct, or equipment.
- a tone or group of tones applied as decoration to a principal melodic tone.
- to furnish with ornaments; embellish: to ornament a musical composition.
- to be an ornament to: Several famous scientists were acquired to ornament the university.
- ornament (Thesaurus)