Pronunciation: (v.out"spred'adj.out'spred'n.out'spred"), [key]
— v., adj., n. -spread, -spread•ing,
- to spread out; extend: an eagle outspreading its wings.
- spread out; stretched out: outspread arms.
- diffused abroad; widely disseminated: The outspread news had traveled quickly.
- the act of spreading out; expansion: the rapid outspread of the early American colonists.
- something that is spread out; an expanse: a vast outspread of rich farmland.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.