oxidize: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ok'si-dīz"), [key]
— v., -dized, -diz•ing.
- to convert (an element) into an oxide; combine with oxygen.
- to cover with a coating of oxide or rust.
- to take away hydrogen, as by the action of oxygen; add oxygen or any nonmetal.
- to remove electrons from (an atom or molecule), thereby increasing the valence. Cf.(def. 12).
- to become oxidized.
- (esp. of white wine) to lose freshness after prolonged exposure to air and often to darken in color.
- oxidize (Thesaurus)