oyster: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (oi'stur), [key]
- any of several edible, marine, bivalve mollusks of the family Ostreidae, having an irregularly shaped shell, occurring on the bottom or adhering to rocks or other objects in shallow water.
- the oyster-shaped bit of dark meat in the front hollow of the side bone of a fowl.
- a closemouthed or uncommunicative person, esp. one who keeps secrets well.
- something from which a person may extract or derive advantage: The world is my oyster.
- to dredge for or otherwise take oysters.
- oyster (Thesaurus)