Meaning of patient
Pronunciation: (pā'shunt), [key]
- a person who is under medical care or treatment.
- a person or thing that undergoes some action.
- a sufferer or victim.
- bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like.
- characterized by or expressing such a quality: a patient smile.
- quietly and steadily persevering or diligent, esp. in detail or exactness: a patient worker.
- undergoing the action of another (opposed to agent&hasp;).
- a man patient of distractions.
- having or showing the capacity for endurance:a man patient of distractions.
- susceptible of:This statement is patient of criticism.
- patient (Thesaurus)