Meaning of pepper
Pronunciation: (pep'ur), [key]
- a pungent condiment obtained from various plants of the genus Piper, esp. from the dried berries, used whole or ground, of the tropical climbing shrub P. nigrum.
- any plant of the genus Piper. Cf.
- any of several plants of the genus Capsicum, esp. C. annuum, cultivated in many varieties, or C. frutescens.
- the usually green or red fruit of any of these plants, ranging from mild to very pungent in flavor.
- the pungent seeds of several varieties of C. annuum or C. frutescens, used ground or whole as a condiment.
- to season with or as if with pepper.
- to sprinkle or cover, as if with pepper; dot.
- to sprinkle like pepper.
- to hit with rapidly repeated short jabs.
- to pelt with or as if with shot or missiles: They peppered the speaker with hard questions.
- to discharge (shot or missiles) at something.
- pepper (Thesaurus)