Meaning of phantom
Pronunciation: (fan'tum), [key]
- an apparition or specter.
- an appearance or illusion without material substance, as a dream image, mirage, or optical illusion.
- a person or thing of merely illusory power, status, efficacy, etc.: the phantom of fear.
- an illustration, part of which is given a transparent effect so as to permit representation of details otherwise hidden from view, as the inner workings of a mechanical device.
- of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a phantom; illusory: a phantom sea serpent.
- noting or pertaining to a phantom circuit.
- named, included, or recorded but nonexistent; fictitious: Payroll checks were made out and cashed for phantom employees.
- phantom (Thesaurus)