Meaning of pier
Pronunciation: (pēr), [key]
- a structure built on posts extending from land out over water, used as a landing place for ships, an entertainment area, a strolling place, etc.; jetty.
- (in a bridge or the like) a support for the ends of adjacent spans.
- a square pillar.
- a portion of wall between doors, windows, etc.
- a pillar or post on which a gate or door is hung.
- a support of masonry, steel, or the like for sustaining vertical pressure.
- a long passageway or corridor that extends from a central area of a building, esp. one at an airport that leads to boarding gates.
- pier (Thesaurus)