Meaning of pith
Pronunciation: (pith), [key]
- the soft, spongy central cylinder of parenchymatous tissue in the stems of dicotyledonous plants.
- the soft inner part of a feather, a hair, etc.
- the important or essential part; essence; core; heart: the pith of the matter.
- significant weight; substance; solidity: an argument without pith.
- spinal cord or bone marrow.
- strength, force, or vigor; mettle: men of pith.
- to remove the pith from (plants).
- to destroy the spinal cord or brain of.
- to slaughter, as cattle, by severing the spinal cord.
- pith (Thesaurus)