Meaning of portage
Pronunciation: (pôr'tij, pōr'-, or, for 2, 3, 5, 6, pôr-täzh'), [key]
— n., v., -taged, -tag•ing.
- the act of carrying; carriage.
- the carrying of boats, goods, etc., overland from one navigable water to another.
- the route over which this is done.
- the cost of carriage.
- to make a portage: On this stretch of the river, we have to portage for a mile.
- to carry (something) over a portage; make a portage with: We portaged our canoe around the rapids.
Pronunciation: (pôr'tij, pōr'-), [key]
- a city in SW Michigan. 38,157.
- a town in NW Indiana. 27,409.
- portage (Thesaurus)