Meaning of presume
Pronunciation: (pri-zm'), [key]
— v., -sumed, -sum•ing.
- to take for granted, assume, or suppose: I presume you're tired after your drive.
- to assume as true in the absence of proof to the contrary.
- to undertake with unwarrantable boldness.
- to undertake (to do something) without right or permission: to presume to speak for another.
- to take something for granted; suppose.
- to act or proceed with unwarrantable or impertinent boldness.
- to go too far in acting unwarrantably or in taking liberties (usually fol. by on or upon): Do not presume upon his tolerance.
- presume (Thesaurus)