Meaning of probation
Pronunciation: (prō-bā'shun), [key]
- the act of testing.
- the testing or trial of a person's conduct, character, qualifications, or the like.
- the state or period of such testing or trial.
- a method of dealing with offenders, esp. young persons guilty of minor crimes or first offenses, by allowing them to go at large under supervision of a probation officer.
- the state of having been conditionally released.
- a trial period or condition of students in certain educational institutions who are being permitted to redeem failures, misconduct, etc.
- the testing or trial of a candidate for membership in a religious body or order, for holy orders, etc.
- probation (Thesaurus)