prologue: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prō'lôg, -log), [key]
— n., v., -logued, -logu•ing.
- a preliminary discourse; a preface or introductory part of a discourse, poem, or novel.
- an introductory speech, often in verse, calling attention to the theme of a play.
- the actor or actress who delivers this.
- an introductory scene, preceding the first act of a play, opera, etc.
- any introductory proceeding, event, etc.: Appetizing delicacies were the prologue to a long dinner.
- to introduce with or as if with a prologue.
- prologue (Thesaurus)