Meaning of promoter
Pronunciation: (pru-mō'tur), [key]
- a person or thing that promotes, furthers, or encourages.
- a person who initiates or takes part in the organizing of a company, development of a project, etc.
- a person who organizes and provides financial backing for a sporting event or entertainment.
- any substance that in small amounts is capable of increasing the activity of a catalyst.
- Also calleda water-repellent reagent enhancing the ability of certain ores to float so that they can be extracted by the flotation process.
- a site on a DNA molecule at which RNA polymerase binds and initiates transcription.
- a gene sequence that activates transcription.
- an informer.
- promoter (Thesaurus)