Meaning of prototype
Pronunciation: (prō'tu-tīp"), [key]
— n., v. -typed, -typ•ing.
- the original or model on which something is based or formed.
- someone or something that serves to illustrate the typical qualities of a class; model; exemplar: She is the prototype of a student activist.
- something analogous to another thing of a later period: a Renaissance prototype of our modern public housing.
- an archetype; a primitive form regarded as the basis of a group.
- to create the prototype or an experimental model of: to prototype a solar-power car.
- prototype (Thesaurus)