Meaning of proud
Pronunciation: (proud), [key]
— adj., adv. -er, -est,
- feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable or creditable to oneself (often fol. by of, an infinitive, or a clause).
- having, proceeding from, or showing a high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, or superiority.
- having or showing self-respect or self-esteem.
- highly gratifying to the feelings or self-esteem: It was a proud day for him when his son entered college.
- highly honorable or creditable: a proud achievement.
- stately, majestic, or magnificent: proud cities.
- of lofty dignity or distinction: a proud name; proud nobles.
- pleased; happy: I'm proud to meet you.
- full of vigor and spirit: a proud young stallion.
- His conduct in such a difficult situation did him proud.
- to be a source of pride or credit to a person:His conduct in such a difficult situation did him proud.
- to treat someone or oneself generously or lavishly:You really did us proud with this supper.
- proud (Thesaurus)