rabbet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rab'it), [key]
— n., v., -bet•ed, -bet•ing.
- a deep notch formed in or near one edge of a board, framing timber, etc., so that something else can be fitted into it or so that a door or the like can be closed against it.
- a broad groove let into the surface of a board or the like; dado.
- to cut a rabbet in (a board or the like).
- to join (boards or the like) by means of a rabbet or rabbets.
- to join by a rabbet (usually fol. by on or over).
- rabbet (Thesaurus)