Meaning of random
Pronunciation: (ran'dum), [key]
- proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers.
- of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen.
- random shingles.
- (of building materials) lacking uniformity of dimensions:random shingles.
- (of ashlar) laid without continuous courses.
- constructed or applied without regularity:random bond.
- bank (def. 7b).
- without definite aim, purpose, method, or adherence to a prior arrangement; in a haphazard way: Contestants were chosen at random from the studio audience.
- without uniformity: random-sized slates.
- random (Thesaurus)