Meaning of recess
Pronunciation: (ri-ses', rē'ses), [key]
- temporary withdrawal or cessation from the usual work or activity.
- a period of such withdrawal.
- a receding part or space, as a bay or alcove in a room.
- an indentation in a line or extent of coast, hills, forest, etc.
- a secluded or inner area or part: in the recesses of the palace.
- to place or set in a recess.
- to set or form as or like a recess; make a recess or recesses in: to recess a wall.
- to suspend or defer for a recess: to recess the Senate.
- to take a recess.
- recess (Thesaurus)