re-coil: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rē-koil'), [key]
— v.t., v.i.
- to coil again.
Pronunciation: (v.ri-koil'n.rē'koil&sec, ri-koil'), [key]
- to draw back; start or shrink back, as in alarm, horror, or disgust.
- to spring or fly back, as in consequence of force of impact or the force of the discharge, as a firearm.
- to spring or come back; react (usually fol. by on or upon): Plots frequently recoil upon the plotters.
- (of an atom, a nucleus, or a particle) to undergo a change in momentum as a result either of a collision with an atom, a nucleus, or a particle or of the emission of a particle.
- an act of recoiling.
- the distance through which a weapon moves backward after discharging.
- recoil (Thesaurus)