Meaning of refer
Pronunciation: (ri-fûr'), [key]
— v., -ferred, -fer•ring.
- to direct for information or anything required: He referred me to books on astrology.
- to direct the attention or thoughts of: The asterisk refers the reader to a footnote.
- to hand over or submit for information, consideration, decision, etc.: to refer the argument to arbitration.
- to assign to a class, period, etc.; regard as belonging or related.
- to have relation; relate; apply.
- to direct attention, as a reference mark does.
- to have recourse or resort; turn, as for aid or information: to refer to one's notes.
- to make reference or allusion: The author referred to his teachers twice in his article.
- refer (Thesaurus)