regionalism: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rē'ju-nl-iz"um), [key]
- the principle or system of dividing a city, state, etc., into separate administrative regions.
- advocacy of such a principle or system.
- a speech form, expression, custom, or other feature peculiar to or characteristic of a particular area.
- devotion to the interests of one's own region.
- the theory or practice of emphasizing the regional characteristics of locale or setting, as by stressing local speech.
- (often cap.) a style of American painting developed chiefly 1930–40 in which subject matter was derived principally from rural areas.
- regionalism (Thesaurus)