religious: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-lij'us), [key]
— adj., n., pl. -gious.
- of, pertaining to, or concerned with religion: a religious holiday.
- imbued with or exhibiting religion; pious; devout; godly: a religious man.
- scrupulously faithful; conscientious: religious care.
- pertaining to or connected with a monastic or religious order.
- appropriate to religion or to sacred rites or observances.
- a member of a religious order, congregation, etc.; a monk, friar, or nun.
- devout or religious persons: Each year, thousands of the religious make pilgrimages to the shrine.
- religious (Thesaurus)