Meaning of resident
Pronunciation: (rez'i-dunt), [key]
- a person who resides in a place.
- a physician who joins the medical staff of a hospital as a salaried employee for a specified period to gain advanced training usually in a particular field, being in full-time attendance at the hospital and often living on the premises.
- a diplomatic representative, inferior in rank to an ambassador, residing at a foreign court.
- (formerly) a representative of the British governor general at a native court in India.
- (formerly) the governor of a residency in the Dutch East Indies.
- residing; dwelling in a place.
- living or staying at a place in discharge of duty.
- (of qualities) existing; intrinsic.
- (of birds) not migratory.
- encoded and permanently available to a computer user, as a font in a printer's ROM or software on a CD-ROM.
- (of a computer program) currently active or standing by in computer memory.
- resident (Thesaurus)